- 1/4 pound imported prosciutto, unsliced
- 1 pound Leeks, trimmed, split and washed
- 1 1/2 pounds Red Potatoes with the skins on
- 1 Celeriac, about 1/2 pound after trimming and peeling
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh Sage, chopped or 1 tablespoon dried
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped Parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Cut prosciutto into 1/4" cubes and sauté 5 minutes in a 4 quart saucepan over low heat. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Melt the butter in the same pan, and cut the leeks into 1" pieces. Sauté the Leeks in the butter over low heat for 10 minutes, being careful not to brown them. Cut Potatoes and Celeriac into 1/2" cubes, then add to the Leeks along with the prosciutto, bay leaf and enough water to cover.
Simmer slowly, uncovered, for about an hour, or until the vegetables are soft and the Leeks have thickened the soup, adding more water if needed. Mash the cubed vegetables a bit while still in the pan, then add Sage and cream. Add salt and pepper to taste and simmer for 2 minutes. Garnish individual servings with Parsley. Serves 4.