- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 Garlic clove, peeled and split in half
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 medium Potatoes (2 pounds)
- 2 1/2 cups finely grated Gruyère cheese (1/2 pound)
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly butter a 10-cup gratin dish. Rub the dish with both halves of the cut Garlic clove.
Combine the cream, nutmeg, salt, pepper and cayenne in a bowl. Peel the Potatoes and slice them paper-thin on a mandoline. As you work, place the Potato slices in the bowl with the cream and seasonings. Add the Gruyère and combine thoroughly.
Pour the Potato-cheese mix into the prepared gratin dish, making sure the Potato slices are flat and level. Place the gratin dish inside a roasting pan and fill the pan to three quarters full with hot water, creating a bain-marie. Carefully place the bain-marie in the center of the oven and bake for 2 hours, or until completely set and golden on top. Serves 4 to 6.