- 16 white anchovy filets, packed in oil and vinegar*
- 1 pound Fingerling Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons Italian Parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoons Garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs, hard boiled, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 Shallots, peeled, cut into 1/8" rings
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
Thoroughly scrub the Potatoes to remove any dirt. Simmer them in salted water just until they can be easily pierced with the tip of a knife. Allow them to completely cool; cut in half lengthwise.
Mix together the chopped Parsley, lemon zest and Garlic. Fry the sliced Shallots in 350°F in canola oil until crisp. Drain on paper towels and season with salt.
To assemble: Combine the Fingerling Potatoes, gremolata, hard boiled egg and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season with salt. Divide evenly among four plates. Lay four anchovy filets on top of each Potato mixture. Garnish with the fried Shallots and the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Serves 4 as an appetizer.
Mezze Chef Clements uses Spanish white anchovies known as "Boquerones" that are commercially available through The Cheeseworks Ltd at (800) 962-1220 or through local Whole Foods Markets: for the store nearest you, visit them at www.wholefoods.com. (Italian marinated anchovies will also work. Just do not use anchovies packed in salt.)