- 4 ounces finely chopped pancetta or bacon
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Leeks
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped Shallots
- 2 Garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 10 cups destemmed, chopped Kale
- 1 1/2 cups cooked cannellini beans
- Coarse sea salt to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Coat the bottom of a medium size soup pot with a drizzle of olive oil. Slowly render the fat from the chopped pancetta (or bacon) over low heat until it is just cooked. Remove the cooked pancetta and set aside.
Add a drizzle of olive oil to the pancetta drippings and sauté the Leeks, Shallots, smashed Garlic cloves and red pepper flakes (optional). Once translucent and fragrant, remove the smashed Garlic cloves.
Remove the stems from the Kale. Wash the Kale. Roughly chop the Kale. Add the Kale to pot, tossing over medium heat until all are wilted and bright green. Transfer the Kale mixture to a bowl.
Add the chicken stock to the pot and bring to a boil. Add the beans and heat until warm for several minutes. Return the Kale mixture and pancetta to the pot, stirring gently to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.